Modern-day style maven, Carolina Herrera knows all about iconic style, but her advice isn’t new. In fact, scarves have been a gender-neutral accessory since ancient Egypt. The original Goddess of Glam, Queen Nefertiti, was said to be the first to make them fashionable, while early Chinese military followed suit, using their scarves to denote position and rank.
Perhaps the second most practical accessory (the handbag arguably being the first!) scarves, have long been used to serve purpose as well as fashion. From warmth to managing hair, scarves have woven their way into our hearts and closets with the help of some friends who have made this fashionable accent famous: Jackie O., Freida Kahlo, Audrey Hepburn, Queen Victoria, StevenTyler, Harry Potter, and Frosty the Snowman are a few that come to mind...but with the help of my stylish scarf-wearing tips, your name will be added to that list in no time!
You all know I LOVE accessories...so much so, I have a whole business around it. By chance you wandered here through a deep dive into the internet, you should totally go check out my line of sustainably sourced cork handbags, belts, and earrings! Our GiGi looks très chic when paired with a sleek shift dress and dainty neck scarf!
Of course, you know that scarves come in a variety of colors, textures, shapes, and sizes...but did you know there are so many clever ways to wear a scarf around your neck? Here is my favorite tutorial - Wendy can move quite quickly through the styles so it’s best to pause every few seconds to try the styles on your own. She is just so creative and I thoroughly enjoy watching her tips and I am sure you will too!
A few other ways to wear a scarf that Wendy didn’t cover:
- My number one fav...on the handle of a purse, of course! (May I suggest the Yvonne? She looks fab with a pop of color!) - for those who are wary of wearing patterns, this is an easy way to add it! And...if you are a gal like me who LOVES patterns, Billy Idol’s Rebel Yell comes to mind….more, more more! (Fun fact...or is it a FAN FACT? I have seen him in concert every year for the last 8 years!)
- Scarves worn as a belt? Accentuating your curves with a soft slip of color is always going to get a “HELL YES!” from me!
- I am a huge fan of any woman who can pull off a headscarf tied around their hair. I envy this look as it exudes style and confidence!
- A small thin square scarf can be folded into a long, one-inch rectangle and wrapped around your wrist for a unique and colorful addition to your look.
- The above method tied around a single boot is also unique! And pretty bad-ass too!
Our totes and satchels just scream “accessorize me!” - The only question is, cotton, linen or silk? I’d love to see how you make your bag your own. Tag us on Instagram with #getcorky so we can share your unique style with our fellow followers and fans!
P.S. When I started Paula Parisotto Cork Collection, I fell madly in love with the brand patterns creatively crafted for me by the brand genius Melinda from Marks & Maker. I quickly trademarked them with the intention to make silk and/or cotton scarves….so tell me, what colors would you want to see most? Maybe it’s time to add an accessories line to my accessories line!